Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that the Department of Justice is actively investigating Rep. Ilhan Omar

Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that the Department of Justice is actively reviewing allegations involving Rep. Ilhan Omar, intensifying scrutiny surrounding the Minnesota Democrat and sparking renewed speculation about a possible federal indictment in the future.

Vance made the remarks during a White House press briefing while temporarily filling in for press secretary Karoline Leavitt, who is currently on maternity leave. His comments came after Daily Caller White House correspondent Reagan Reese asked about longstanding accusations tied to Omar’s immigration history, campaign finances, and earlier federal investigations.

“I don’t want to prejudge an investigation,” Vance said during the briefing. “You read the stories about Ilhan Omar, about who she married, whether she married this person or that person. It certainly seems like there’s something questionable there. But everyone deserves equal justice under the law.”

The vice president then confirmed that federal authorities are currently examining the matter.

“So we’re going to investigate it, we’re going to take a look at it,” Vance added. “And if we believe a crime was committed, we’re going to prosecute that crime. That’s something the Department of Justice is looking at right now.”

The comments represent one of the clearest public acknowledgments so far from the Trump administration that Omar is facing renewed federal scrutiny. They also mark a major escalation in a political controversy that has surrounded the congresswoman for years.

Omar, one of the most high-profile progressive Democrats in Congress, has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and has consistently dismissed accusations from Republicans as politically motivated attacks designed to damage her reputation.

Tuesday’s revelation follows earlier reporting from The New York Times, which claimed that former President Joe Biden’s Justice Department quietly opened an investigation into Omar in 2024. According to the report, federal prosecutors in Washington, D.C., working alongside the DOJ’s Public Integrity Section, reviewed campaign expenditures, personal financial documents, and alleged connections involving a non-U.S. citizen.

Sources familiar with the investigation reportedly told the Times that the probe eventually lost momentum after investigators failed to uncover enough evidence to justify additional charges or a broader prosecution effort.

However, the Trump administration now appears to be revisiting at least parts of that earlier inquiry, signaling that federal officials may once again examine allegations connected to Omar’s finances and personal history.

Vance’s comments also come as Republicans continue expanding investigations into Minnesota’s massive Feeding Our Future fraud scandal, one of the largest COVID-era fraud cases in American history. The scandal involved millions of dollars in alleged misuse of federal child nutrition funds during the pandemic and has already resulted in numerous indictments and convictions.

While Omar has not been charged with any crime related to the case, growing Republican scrutiny of political figures connected to Minnesota has kept attention focused on the state’s broader network of investigations.

The Justice Department has not yet released additional details regarding the current status of any inquiry involving Omar, and no formal charges have been announced. Still, Vance’s remarks are likely to intensify political tensions in Washington as Republicans push for greater accountability while Democrats accuse the administration of targeting political opponents.

For now, the investigation remains ongoing, with federal officials continuing to review evidence and determine whether any criminal violations may have occurred.

Republican lawmakers in Minnesota have repeatedly attempted to connect Rep. Ilhan Omar to organizations within the Somali community that were implicated in the massive Feeding Our Future fraud scandal, as well as to federal child nutrition programs that were expanded during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The controversy intensified earlier this month when a Republican-led committee in the Minnesota House narrowly failed in its effort to subpoena Omar for documents connected to the Feeding Our Future investigation. Democrats on the panel blocked the move during a tied committee vote, preventing the subpoena from advancing.

Republican committee chair Kristin Robbins argued that Omar played a role in weakening oversight protections after sponsoring the federal MEALS Act in 2020. According to Robbins and other Republicans, the legislation reduced safeguards within pandemic-era child nutrition programs, creating conditions that allowed widespread fraud and abuse to occur across Minnesota.

The Feeding Our Future scandal has become one of the largest pandemic-related fraud investigations in U.S. history, involving allegations that millions of dollars intended to feed children were instead misused through fraudulent reimbursement schemes.

Although Omar has not been accused of participating directly in the fraud operation, Republicans have continued to question her ties to some organizations and individuals connected to the broader investigation.

Omar’s congressional office has repeatedly declined invitations to testify before the Minnesota House committee, further fueling criticism from Republican lawmakers who argue that more transparency is needed regarding her role in promoting federal nutrition expansions during the pandemic.

The political controversy surrounding Omar, however, began long before the Feeding Our Future case emerged. For years, conservative critics have questioned details surrounding Omar’s immigration timeline and marriage history. Allegations regarding potential immigration fraud and personal relationships have circulated widely online and across conservative media outlets, though none of those accusations have resulted in criminal charges.

Vice President JD Vance himself previously raised concerns about Omar during the 2024 presidential campaign, suggesting at the time that federal authorities should examine whether immigration fraud may have occurred.

During Tuesday’s White House press briefing, Vance appeared to confirm that federal officials are now actively reviewing matters connected to Omar, though he stopped short of accusing her of any crime.

The Department of Justice has not publicly confirmed whether a formal investigation currently exists, and neither DOJ officials nor Omar’s congressional office immediately responded to media requests for comment following Vance’s statements.

Still, the vice president’s remarks are expected to intensify political pressure on Omar as Republicans continue portraying Democratic lawmakers as corrupt and unaccountable ahead of the 2026 midterm elections.

Democrats, meanwhile, have accused Republicans of attempting to weaponize federal investigations for political purposes and argue that repeated allegations against Omar have failed to produce criminal evidence despite years of scrutiny.

Vance pushed back strongly against accusations of political targeting during Tuesday’s briefing, insisting that the administration intends to follow the facts and evidence wherever they lead.

“Everyone is entitled to equal justice under the laws,” Vance said, emphasizing that any investigation would proceed based on evidence rather than politics.

For now, no charges have been filed, and federal authorities have not released additional details regarding the status or scope of any ongoing inquiry involving Omar.